Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review: Crimson Moon


Title: Crimson Moon

Author: J.A. Saare

Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Author's website:http://www.jasaare.com/

Excerpt: http://www.jasaare.com/crimson_excerpt1.html


Making the Grade: B+



For My Thoughts

I really liked Crimson Moon (even though it‘s told in first person *grumbles*). It was my first book by J.A. Saare thanks once again to my peeps on twitter and I‘m looking forward to reading more from this author. I believe there is a Disco in my future.

I really didn’t know what to expect when I started this book and even though I have never read any of the Twilight books I have a feeling if you’re a fan of that series, then you will love Crimson Moon. It’s got werewolves, vampires and a young woman and what with little I know, that’s enough for me to draw the comparison.

Emma Johnson is essentially all alone in the world. Her mom died in a car accident, she never knew her father and her grandma’s in a nursing home in the advanced stages of Alzheimer’s. What started out as a normal Saturday at the local diner for a breakfast of coffee and powdered donuts turned into a life changing moment in young Emma’s life.

Saare certainly wastes no time in getting the action started. Emma finds out in short order that her life will never be the same again that fateful Saturday morning. With her life on the line, Emma finds herself suddenly swept up and upside down as a gorgeous, handsome stranger literally sweeps her off her feet and helps her escape from so not so human creatures out to capture her.

And so begins the love story between Emma and her savior with the piercing blue eyes Caleb. From the moment Emma gazed into Caleb’s eyes in that deserted alley - she knew there was something special about him. Their attraction was immediate and undeniable.

Caleb is the perfect hero. Gorgeous, patient, considerate and caring, and yet this werewolf was a total badass Alpha when he needed to be. Protective and strong - there was never any doubt that Emma was his number one priority. He is definitely swoon worthy.

As far as Emma was concerned, she seemed to accept the fact that her father was alive and a true blood vampire and she was currently keeping company with a bunch of werewolves in stride. It may have been a tad unrealistic for her to so seemingly accept these changes in her life, but maybe it was easier for her given her ancestry.

I must say Saare’s writing is very descriptive. From hearing the squeak of shoes on the wet grass or feeling the piercing blue of Caleb’s eyes or the woodsy smells of pheromones - it all seemed real and alive in my mind as I read this book. It’s pretty amazing to feel such a part of a story while reading it.

I felt that there were two distinct parts to Crimson Moon. The first half centered around Emma and her interaction with the werewolves and her relationship with Caleb. I loved this part of the book. It was fun watching Emma and Caleb as their relationship blossomed. Her games of one upmanship with the pesky Derek definitely made me laugh. I didn’t see it coming when Saare changed up the rules of the game and Caleb and Emma were forced to make a difficult decision.

The second half revolved around Emma meeting her true blood vampire father and discovering how truly her life was about to change. And then there was Trent, the mind reading vampire who was now consuming all of Emma’s time. I didn’t want Emma to like Trent…possibly because I wanted her with Caleb. As this part of Crimson Moon progressed I kept on thinking nooooo Emma has to be with Caleb.

I had no idea where Saare was going with the story and that’s one of the best things about reading a book, that it can keep you engrossed and caring about the characters and hopeful for the resolution to a great love story.

I can always tell when I am truly into a story. I was reading this book at the gym and it was just so easy to block out everything going on around me as I lost myself in the story and actually keep working out a little longer (since I wanted to keep reading). At one particular point when Emma’s life was in grave danger I was literally holding my breath, my heart pounding while I read. I was actually scared. This is just one example of how well crafted this story was that I could imagine myself right there in the room witnessing the horror of Emma’s attack right along with her. Still gives me chills thinking about it now.

If you are even remotely interested in vamps and werewolves, a great story and love everlasting, then you must read Crimson Moon. I sure am glad I did.


From Goodreads
An average morning is what Emma Johnson envisions when she visits Joe's Café for a steaming cup of coffee. But the world isn't the place she imagined it to be, and neither is she...

After Emma is rescued from a horde of bloodthirsty creatures, she discovers she is the daughter of a powerful Vampire from the House Deviard, her rescuer, Caleb, having been sent to see her safely home. For Caleb is also unique, a werewolf procured to protect the royal Vampiric bloodlines from harm - but nothing more.

Soon, the undeniable connection Emma and Caleb share evolves beyond attraction into something unexpected. When she is forced to make a choice, what path will she take - vampire or wolf?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! been thinking about reading this one =D

Julie said...

I've read Disco, and yes you must read him (Rhiannon is great too). I've been spying on this one... Great review!

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I own this one, and have started it but haven't finished it. I've heard such great things about it-I must get to it!! You have to give Dead, Undead and Somewhere in Between a try. I think the writing styles are really different.