Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Morning Quarterback: The Weight Chronicles


I, like countless of others in the free world pledged on Jan 1, 2011 to be more conscientious about my health in the coming year. Eat healthier, exercise more including cardio and the dreaded weights(I hate doing weights but you can't deny how benifical they are to your overall health).

In order to make myself more accountable for my weighty issues in 2011, I have decided to post every Monday about my progress. Aptly titled Monday Morning Quarterback: The Weight Chronicles I will discuss the highs, the lows or whatever pops into my mind about the previous week that I feel was relevent to my success (or *gasp* failures - but I'm not going there - see #4 below).

I started getting serious AGAIN about my weight in Mar 2010. I have struggled, daily, monthly, yearly with my weight and I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will continue to be the case. For me (and the masses) there is no magic bullet; no easy answer. I know my body, what works for me and most importantly I know that I CAN do it. I didn't lose 75lbs last year without a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears and even though I got off track in December with the holidays, being sick and just general lack of time to do all the things that helped me lose the weight earlier in the year, I am eager to get back on that horse.

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new year so ready...set...go!!

1. Be READY to drink lots and lots of water: My goal is to drink 1.5 litres of water every day at work (nothing better than getting paid to pee) that's in addition to my liquid consumption at home and while working out.  Lucky for me I like water.  At room temp I can guzzle it like any world class 2-fisted beer drinker.  A trick I use at home is to keep a glass of water at the ready at all times on the kitchen counter.  Everytime I venture anywhere near it  - I down it and refill it again for the next time.

2. SET up a Food Plan: Surprisingly this is the easiest and the hardest thing for me.  I am quite fortunate that I can eat the same thing everyday and not tire of it. I pack my lunch every day and am therefore a captive audience; I can only eat what I bring to work. My problems with food starts once I get home from work. Those unstructed times when tempation is close at hand is the one area I really need to work on.  The answer seems simple - if I don't buy it - I can't eat it.

3. GO to the Gym 5 days a week minimum. I'm going to strive for 6 days but having rest days is important in the overall scheme of things so I'm not going to beat myself if I can't make it 6 days (besides that I'm no spring chicken any more - I need recovery time). Do weights at least 3 days a week and run 3 days a week.

4.  Stay positive:  It's easy to get down on myself when the numbers on the scale aren't moving as quickly as I would like them to. I need to rejoice in how far I've come and how great my accomplishments of 2010 were instead of thinking I could have done better and I'm not going to lie - I could have. I may still be overweight and maybe even obese by some medical standards but I'm a lot better off than I was and I'm headed in the right direction.  I just need to re-focus and to continue to do all the things that helped me lose 75lbs last year.

The Weight Chronicles: Volume 1

2 days into the new year and I'm batting 100% - I've made it to the gym both days and considering the way I felt, it was a mildstone I did. But this kick-ass chick isn't going to let a little head/chest cold "weigh" her down (hope I don't regret those words later!).

Jan 1: 35mins elliptical, 35 mins stationary bike, stretching
Jan 2: 40mins elliptical, 32 mins stationary bike, upper body weight machines, stretching

I noticed a marked difference in attendance at the gym Sunday morning. Usually it's the same folks getting in their workout for the day. I knew as soon as I drove into the parking lot that a lot of the new year's newbies were out in full force. I'm spoiled and I'm not going to pretend I like all these newbies messing up my routine - yes I am a creature of habit. I like to use the same elliptical machine, the same treadmill and all these new people are going to screw that up. I just have to breathe deep and suck it up for the next few week and hope the nubes all go back to their sedentary lives sooner rather than later. I expect tonight to be horrendous at the gym since Mondays are notoriously one of the busiest days anyway. Add in all the newbies and I'll just be thankful to get ANY machine.

Here's to kickin' butt in 2011!


Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

3 comments:

Edittorrent said...

You can do it! You had a great year last year, and you'll have a great year this year. I'm so happy we met on twitter because your success inspires me!

Theresa

Lissa Matthews said...

Best of luck to you! I am on the weight loss journey with you, though I don't intend to set foot in a gym. I'll set it outside my front door or on the Wii...grins.

Like you, I struggle with unstructured time snacking. If it's set in stone already, I'm typically very good. Otherwise, it's 'where's the doughnuts?'

I've gotten bad about water the last few weeks, but am getting back on the bandwagon. I've found for me that a straw helps me tremendously when it comes to drinking a lot of water.

I'm pulling for you and I love your ticker!

WEIGHT LESS NOT MORE said...

Theresa: Thank you so much for the kind words!If even one person can take away inspiration from my journey then that makes me more inspired to keep going.

Lissa: It's funny how people seem to have the same issues when they struggle with their weight. If you can exercise on your own I bow down to you! I've tried the at home route - I am not near disciplined enough to keep it up (points to big pile of workout DVD's). For me it all goes back to the structure and routine - I am a kite blowing in the wind without it. Good luck with the Wii. I actually think it would be fun to try those x-box, Wii workouts, but I know I wouldn't keep it up. The gym is the only place for me (I truly think a part of it is I need the distracion of other people while working out).