Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Workwork Wednesday: No Pain No Gain


Ok I thought this week was going to be easy to finish off my book for the read-n-ride challenge. But once again I managed to just squeak it in under the wire. I mean seriously it was only 243 pages and I was actually delusional enough to think that I might even read 2 books this week. Wrong! There were a couple of reasons I didn’t get as much time on the bike this week as I would have liked. First off I decided to try a different bike and that was my first mistake. My buttocks hurt for 2 days and just the thought of hopping back on that bad boy had my butt cheeks quivering in pain. I also had a few stomach issues this week that caused me to miss a few days. But I did complete the book so all-in-all it was a success.


♥♥♥ 1/2
The book: Her Best Friend by Sarah Mayberry

Pages read 243
Riding Time 2hours 20minutes
Calories Burned 839
Distance Peddled 49.60 miles

Back Cover Blurb
What's a girl to do when she's secretly in love with a friend and he's married to someone else? She gets over it. That's what Amy Parker has done. Rather than lose her best bud Quinn Whitfield with an ill-timed, crazy confession of affection, she's taken the smart route. She's eased away from him. Just enough to get past the unrequited bits. And you know, it's working.

Until the day Quinn announces he's now single. That's right. He's single. And he wants to hang out. With her. Get reconnected the way they used to be.

Oh, this is so not good for Amy's equilibrium. Daily doses of Quinn remind her of everything she loves about him. But if he's free…and she's free…well, maybe the time has come for one of those crazy confessions


For My Thoughts

First of all let me say that I love that Sarah Mayberry writes stories that take place in Australia. While reading, I always imagine the dialogue in my head with an Aussie accent (at least for the hero) and there is just something so hot and sexy about a guy with an accent.

Her Best Friend raises a very interesting question. What do you do when you find out your BFF is getting divorced and you’ve been in love with him since you were fourteen? That’s the dilemma facing Amy Parker when she discovers her childhood friends Quinn and Lisa are estranged and in the final stages of a divorce.

Can friends become lovers? Quinn and Amy spend most of the book dancing around this question. They have a fun, playful, easy-going relationship borne from years of being best friends. They know everything there is to know about each other except for how they really feel towards one another. Is wreaking a great friendship worth the risk of a few minutes tangled up in the sheets together? Neither Amy nor Quinn is willing to cross that line between friends and lovers to find out. Then one night one of them has a bit too much to drink and in an alcohol induced stupor reveals their true feelings. The circumstances surrounding the true confession were actually pretty funny and embarrassing and I did let out a little laugh.

This is a pretty tame book as far as smexy action goes, but there are a couple of close encounters only to be coitus interruptes by Amy’s mom who it turns out has impeccable timing.

If you have a spare couple of hours and want a fun, easy read then you won’t be disappointed with Her Best Friend.

Weigh in on the Friends Vs Lovers debate.

Next week’s challenge Leaves Me Breathless by HelenKay Dimon.

No comments: