Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Workout Wednesday: The EEEEE's Have It


Did you notice I missed my Workout Wednesday post last week? Every week I have my own Fatal Affair with a book, a bike and a deadline. 99% of the time I win, but last week I was on vacation. Not enough gym time = no book finished for Workout Wednesday. Bad Judi!



E-asy Rider: E-book on an E-reader on an E-xercise bike

♥♥♥♥

Pages read approx 400 (thx to my tweep msbookjunkie)
Riding Time 3hours 47minutes
Calories Burned 1464
Distance Peddled 65.25




For My Thoughts

Fatal Affair by Maire Force is my 1st experience at reading an E-book for my weekly challenge. I’ve read both of Force’s previous books Line of Scrimmage and Love at First Flight so when I found myself at the gym without the book I was reading for my weekly challenge, I remembered I had this book downloaded on my Itouch. So since beggars (or losers who forget their book) can’t be choosers, I decided to give it a try.

Fatal Affair was a little different departure from Force’s two previous books which were straight up contemporary romances. This one read like an episode of Law and Order (cue the music) with heavy emphasis on the murder/political suspense thriller aspect, but still had a great romantic element between the lead characters Sam Holland and Nick Cappuano.

Police detective Sam Holland has a lot on her plate. Between caring for her injured in-the-line of duty father and some wonky stomach issues, she’s back on the job after her last case went horribly wrong and back in the spotlight investigating the gruesome murder of US Senator John O’Connor when she comes face to face with someone from her past...someone she had a one night stand with...someone who has major ties to this case...Nick Cappuano.

I just want to touch briefly on the Senator’s murder. Was it professionally or personally motivated? That is the $100,000 question. See the Senator was killed the night before a big vote on a Senate bill he was backing, but the manner in which he met his untimely demise…Eeeewwwwww…I imagine the method of murder would be every man's worse nightmare cuz it sure made me cringe!

Sam and Nick made an interesting couple. It’s been six years since the one night they shared and due to some major third party interference their relationship never had a chance to develop. Sam's all business at first since she knows she's walking a very slippery slope as she works all the angles while investigating the biggest case of her life under a microscope.

Nick’s still a hottie and still single probably because he's a workaholic who's not only the Senator’s Chief of Staff but was his best friend as well, so he wants the murder solved ASAP. Nick's in shock and grieving, but he also couldn’t be happier to have Sam back in his life because he's never gotten over her. Overall he was very supportive and understanding of Sam’s need to keep things between them strictly professional, but he's not about to let her get away again cuz one thing's for sure these two have some unfinished business. They actually made a good team since Nick has the inside track on the Senator’s friends, family and business associates and they do strike somewhat of a balance between the investigation and their personal relationship...at least in public.

One last mention goes to Sam’s police department partner Freddie. He’s a newbie just learning the ropes, but he reminded me of a cute, cuddly puppy dog…all tail wagging and eager to please. Here’s hoping he gets his own HEA in a future book because his story could be very entertaining.

Finally I will admit I am old school when it comes to reading and I enjoy the feel of a book in my hot little hands. I do not like reading AT ALL on the computer, so I wasn’t sure how I would like reading on the Itouch.

Overall I rate the E-xperience 2 thumbs UP!

Available now from Carina Press

From the Author's Website

On the morning of the most important vote of Senator John O’Connor’s career he is late—again. His best friend and chief of staff, Nick Cappuano sets off to O'Connor’s apartment expecting to roust him from bed and hoping he is alone. But what Nick finds is that O’Connor, the handsome, amiable Senator from Virginia, has been brutally murdered, and Nick’s world comes crashing down around him. Complicating the disaster, the detective assigned to the case is none other than Sam Holland, Nick’s one-night stand from six years earlier, the woman who broke his heart and haunts his dreams. With six years worth of unfinished business hanging between them and more than a few scores to settle personally and professionally, Nick and Sam set out to find the senator's killer while trying—and failing—to resist the overwhelming attraction between them that seems to have only grown over the years.

It soon becomes clear that the Senator’s past holds secrets that not only led to his death but now endanger Nick and Sam as well. Working together to find a killer and to rediscover the love they thought they lost long ago, they must put the past behind them and build a future that offers a world of new opportunities for both of them—including an offer from the Virginia Democrats for Nick to finish the last year of John’s term.

No comments: